Saturday, September 28, 2013

Misc Notes

*Just a reminder, I have pushed back the due date for assignment #1 to Wednesday. We will have a critique of the work and you will turn it in afterward. You will turn in two prints as well as contact sheets for any rolls of film that you have shot so far. You must turn your prints in a folder with your name on it or at the very least an envelop with you name on it. 

*I have revised the calendar on the syllabus to reflect the changed due date of Assignment #1. I have also made a few minor changes to the schedule over the next few weeks.

*If you miss a class due to illness, you must bring me a copy of a doctor's note or similar for it to be excused.

*You only get 2 unexcused absences then your overall grade begins to suffer (please see the syllabus for details)

*Please remember that this is a 4 credit class with an expectation that you put in at least 6 hours of work outside of class each week. This will show in your work.

*As clearly spelled out in the syllabus, texting is not allowed during class. If I see you texting, then I will make a a note of it and it will affect your professionalism grade.

*Please use paper conservatively. A number of students are using full sheets of 8x10 paper for test prints. Don't use a full sheet of paper until you know everything is dialed in. Use 1/4 sheets and similar for determining correct exposure, contrast, and dodging and burning. If we run out of paper, then you are responsible for buying more. I encourage you to encourage your classmates to use paper conservatively. A 100 sheet pack of 8x10 paper is about $67. That means each 8x10 sheet cost approximately 67 cents.



*Be sure to bring your camera and any lenses that you have to class on Monday.

*The movie we watched in class last week is titled Gregory Crewdson: Brief Encounters. If you missed it for some reason, it is available to watch on Netflix Streaming. If you don't have a subscription to Netflix, but missed the film for some reason, please let me know and I will arrange a time for you to watch it.

*In the afternoon section of class, I showed the Suburbia series by Bill Owens. I love the series and encourage you to check it out for inspiration.

*I'm really looking forward to seeing your prints on Wednesday!



No comments: